My Favorite Reads
The Booker Award
It’s all about the books.
The fabulous author and blogger Sabrina Garie has nominated me for the Booker Award. The award targets literary and book-centered blogs. The rules are simple: post my top five books of all time, post the booker award icon, and nominate other bloggers to do the same.
Well…I’m going to break the rules. Or expand on them.
First, I asked my husband and daughter. The husband is a feisty rule-breaker, too; he gave me four, although his fourth pick spans many novels by the same awesome author. And here’s what the girls are reading at my daughter’s elementary school.
Celia’s Sexy-Brained Other Half Says…
Kindle-wielding Daughter’s Picks…
Celia Growing Up Liked…
I’ve been an avid reader forever. As a kid, I devoured the Little House on the Prairie and Nancy Drew series, and Asimov’s Hugo winners, to name a few. As a teen, Harlequins and anything by Stephen King ruled my bookshelves along with the classic reads we covered in school. I especially liked Shakespeare’s comedies.
French literature dominated my college reading time. My favorites: 19th century French poets Baudelaire, Verlaine, and Rimbaud, along with early 20th century writer Camus and poet Apollinaire. Read in the original French, bien sur; the only way to go with those trippy guys. I also devoured Anne Rice’s Vampire Lestat series and some Gabriel Garcia Marquez.
Celia’s Current Top Five
Okay, now I’ll play by the rules. Sort of. Here are some of my current favs.
- Agree with the husband-unit: Snow Crash, Hitchhiker’s Guide, All of P.K. Dick
- Throwing in some graphic novels, especially Promethea series, Watchmen
- No surprise here: vampire (and other paranormal) novels – J.R. Ward’s Black Dagger Brotherhood series, Kresley Cole’s Immortals After Dark Series, Laurell K. Hamilton’s Anita Blake series, Karen Marie Moning’s Highlander series, etc. ad infinitum.
- In romance-land (contemporary and paranormal): anything by Laura Kaye.
And The Booker Award Goes to…
- Julie Chiron: Multimedia artist and writer of compelling short stories and powerful poetry.
- M. Luke McDonell: Author of thought-provoking speculative fiction.
- Angela Quarles: Romance writer of sassy steampunk, tempting time travel and more.